Howrah Bridge (Rabindra Setu) :
  
   The Howrah Bridge, also known as the Rabindra Setu, is a bridge over the Hoogli River in West Bengal and was completed in 1941. It is so named as it links the city of Howrah, near Howrah Station, to its twin city of Kolkata. There are no supporting pillars bellow the bridge and therefore, it looks like a hanging bridge. The Howrah Bridge is believed to be the busiest bridge in the world. The bridge was constructed entirely by riveting, without any use of nuts and bolts. There are two sister bridges over the river namely the Vidyasagar Setu and the Vivekananda Setu.



 
 
Vidyasagar Setu : 
  
   It is known as the second Howrah Bridge that connects Kolkata with Howrah. This bridge was constructed in a special manner in which there are large networks of steel cables which balance the bridge. The bridge contains six lanes with a main span length of 457 meters and pylon height of 127 meters. It is a modern day engineering marvel and is the largest cable stayed bridge in Asia
.
 
 Victoria Memorial :
  
   Victoria Memorial is a splendid example of British Architecture exhibiting British artifacts. This domed classical structure was constructed by the then viceroy of British India, Lord Curzon. It represents a unique combination of classical European architecture and Mughal motifs. The magnificent structure was completed in the year 1921.

    The monument is built entirely of white marbles which were supplied from Makrana (a town in Nagaur district of the Indian state of Rajasthan). This celebrated landmark was financed by the donations of Princes and high-society citizens of the country. The museum has two floors which accommodate 25 galleries of Indian and Western Paintings, manuscripts, postage stamps, Mughal miniatures, books that date back to the 1870's, statues and sculptures, arms and armaments, sketches and other

 
 
Botanical Gardens : 
  
   The Botanical Gardens, in the Shibpur suburb of Howrah was administered by Colonel Robert Kyd, a Secretary to the Board in the Military Department of Fort William and also a proletarian botanist. The gardens were initially established for the purpose of growing new plants of commercial value and growing spices for trade. But as time passed, the gardens were developed in to an extensive herbarium. The land area now measures 270 acres comprising of 50,000 different kinds of plants, trees, herbs. The oldest banyan tree present in this garden is nearly 250 years old and has a trunk circumference of 330 metres. The Gardens have become a popular picnic spot for the city dwellers.

 Marble Palace :
  
   This luxurious palace was built in 1835 by Raja Rajendra Mullick, a wealthy zamindar (land owner). His descendants still live inside the palace, but most of the house is open for the general public. The palace is built of 100 varieties of marbles that provides a glimpse into the life of a rich Bengali household.

    The upstairs rooms are decorated with beautiful objects: mirrors and paintings cover the walls (including works by Reynolds, Rubens, and Murillo), gigantic chandeliers hang from the ceilings, and hundreds of statues and Far Eastern urns populate the rooms. The family temple is located in the courtyard, while the grounds have a rock garden and aviary, home to mynahs and macaws. Nowadays it has become a favorite place for film shooting.

 
Indian Museum : 
  
   Indian Museum is the ninth oldest regular museum of the world and oldest of its kind in the Asia pacific region. This multipurpose and multi disciplinary institution
of national importance was established in the year 1814 at the Asiatic Society and transferred to the present building in 1978. Started with only two galleries, the museum has now over sixty galleries of Art, Archaeology, Anthropology, Geology, Zoology and Botany sections, spreading over ten thousand square feet area. You can see some rare specimens of both Indian and Trans - Indian origin relating to Humanities and Natural Science which are preserved and displayed in the galleries of these sections.

     It is also known as the Jadughar. A large collection of old coins is also displayed in the museum. Some coins are more than 2400 years old. The art collection is particularly depicts Mughal paintings including portraits, book illustrations and varied scenes of court and palace life.

 

 Alipore Zoo :
  
   Alipore Zoo is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Kolkata. The zoo, comprising an area of 16 hectors, is a home to several species of animals, birds and reptiles. Modern trends include breeding threatened animals in captivity, exhibiting animals in enclosures simulating their natural habitat rather than in cages (open-range zones or safari parks), and educating the public about principles of ecology.

The zoo has an open-air enclosure for tigers, a large fresh water aquarium and a reptile house. It also holds a giant tortoise in its collection since 1875. During the month of December and January the zoo records maximum attendance.

 
Birla Industrial and Technological Museum : 
  
   This museum was established in the year 1956 by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research and is the country’s only museum of its kind. It exhibits industrial and technological models related to electricity, Electronics, Nuclear Physics, Iron and Steel, Optics, Motive Power, Communication and Mining.

     Apart from the permanent exhibition, the museum also conducts demonstration-lectures, hobby activities and sky-observation through telescopes. The scientific models are very interesting for school children. Among other worth visiting places are the mini planetarium, the mini zoo and a simulated coalmine. A well equipped library is also present inside the museum campus.

 
 Academy of Fine Arts :
  
   The Academy of Fine Arts is one of the finest art societies of India. It was formally established in the year 1933. The academy constitutes the works of contemporary Indian artists. The eight galleries of art on its ground floor is the largest gallery space in India. The first floor covers a museum having large collections of well known painters of India and famous British Painters of the 18th and 19th Centuries. The Rabindra gallery includes manuscripts, paintings and personal belongings of Rabindranath Tagore.

   Group theatres, dance shows, lectures and art films are organized in the auditorium located behind the building.

Location :
2, Cathedral Road, Kolkata - 700071

 
 
Rabindra Bharati Museum : 
  
   Rabindra Bharati Museum is considered as the storehouse of memories of Rabindranath Tagore which is represented though original paintings, photographs and
other valuable materials of the great soul. The museum is situated in the old building which is called Jorasanko Thakurbari and was established by Pt Jawaharlal Nehru. The museum is an integral part of the Rabindrabharati University, established in 1962, for the advancement of the highest education in various disciplines of Humanities and Performing Arts.

     The archival collection includes personal letters, first edition books, books on Tagore, clippings on Tagore, literature of the House and outstanding personalities of the 19th and 20th centuries. Some more collection includes paintings utensils, personalia, craft & sculpture, spool, furniture etc.

 
 Birla Planetarium :
  
   M. P. Birla Planetarium is one of the largest planetariums of Asia. The planetarium started its functioning from September 29, 1962 as an educational, scientific and research institution whichwas inaugurated by the then Prime Minister of India Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru. The internal diameter of the tomb is 82 feet. The auditorium has a capacity of 500 persons.

The Planetarium owns an astronomical observatory equipped with a Celestron C-14 Telescope with accessories such as ST6 CCD Camera, Solar Filter etc. An Electronics Laboratory for design and fabrication of scientific equipment is also present inside the planetarium. The laboratory has now developed an Automation System for executing special effects and visuals during a planetarium show. The planetarium organizes special shows during solar and lunar eclipses.

 

 
 
Science Cityy : 
  
   Science City is a museum full of knowledge and adventure. The space Odyssey, Dynamotion, Life Science Corners, Science Park, Toy Train and Ropeway are some of the attractions of this museum. Space Time Rocket takes you to the cavity of an erupting volcano or back to the days of pyramids. The convention centre present in the campus has a capacity of 2215 persons.

     It is an ideal place for imparting scientific knowledge in natural ambience. The city provides fundamental knowledge in mathematics, physics, chemistry, geography, mechanics and environmental science. Display objects in the city include interactive science exhibits, planetarium, large formal movie projection, live specimens etc.

 

 Belur Math :
  
   Belur Math is the headquarters of the twin organizations of Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission. Spread over several acres of land, it is a pilgrimage for people from different faiths and religions. It is situated at a distance of 6 kms from the Howrah station and located on the bank of the river Hooghly. The Math provides a picturesque view of Ramakrishna temple which was built in the year 1899. People from all over the world come here to receive the message of harmony between the religions of the world, divinity of the soul, renunciation and service.

      The main attraction of Belur Math is the temple of Sri Ramakrishna Paramhansadev which was built by Swami Vivekananda with several other monks. Other worth visiting sites in the campus includes Swami Vivekananda's Room, Swami Brahmananda's Temple, Holy Mother Sarada Devi's Temple, Swami, Vivekananda's Temple, and Ramakrishna Museum.

 

 
St. Paul's Church : 
  
   This famous Church was built in the year 1847 by Bishop Wilson. The church is an example of Indo-Gothic architecture which was designed by Major W.N. Forbes. An earthquake destroyed the original 61-m high tower in 1897. It was rebuilt as a replica of the Bell Harry Tower of Canterbury Cathedral. The main hall of the church has beautifully carved wooden pews and chairs along with the stained glass window to the west. The walls are covered with intricate floral designs that captivate the beauty.

      It is located east of the Victoria memorial at the southern end of the Maidan. The ambience of the church is very soothing and tranquil; an ideal place for serene meditation.